Paleo Diet For Beginners
The Paleo Diet, also known as the Caveman Diet is right up there in popularity with our good friend the keto diet.
This heavy protein based diet is based on the idea of “if a caveman didn’t eat it, then you shouldn’t either”.
Way back when our ancestors were hunter-gatherers they thrived due to their clean and seasonal diet.
Our genes have not changed as much as we think since then and yet we have more health issues in our day of age than ever before.
What changed you may ask? Our diets became grain dependent, with food such as bread, pasta, rice, and corn taking precedence over meat, vegetables, and seasonal fruits.
Paleo wants the body to get back to its natural state where it is not reliant on the foods mentioned above.
Besides the first rule, the second rule to this diet is that there is no strict calorie counting, macro tracking, or specific times to eat.
Eat Paleo approved foods and eat when you feel hungry, plain and simple.
Health Benefits of the Paleo Diet:
- Promotes healthy blood glucose levels
- Reduces insulin sensitivity
- Can lower blood pressure levels
- Can lower cholesterol levels
- Improved feelings of satiety/fullness
Foods to purchase and base your diet plan on:
- Seafood - try to purchase wild caught seafood, not farmed. Salmon, Tuna, Lobster, Shrimp, Bass, Tilapia, Halibut, Trout, Swordfish, and Crab.
- Poultry - try to purchase pasture raised and organic. Chicken, Duck, Turkey, Hen, and Goose.
- Red Meat - try to purchase 1005 grass fed and organic. Filets, Ground Beef, Bison, Venison, Kangaroo, Pork, and Lamb
- Eggs - try to purchase pasture raised and organic when available.
- Processed Meats - try to purchase Nitrate-Free processed meats. Bacon, Sausage, Jerky, and Deli Meat.
- Vegetables - Asparagus, Artichoke, Beets, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Chicory, Cauliflower, Celery, Cabbage of any variety, Chives, Collard Greens, Cucumbers, Egg Plant, Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Mustard Greens, Onions, Parsley, Peppers, Spaghetti Squash, Spinach, Tomatoes, Turnips, Zucchini
- Fruit - Limes, Lemons, Cranberry, Raspberry, Kiwi, Plum, Strawberries, Blackberries, Grapefruit, Melon, Tangerines, Pomegranate, Apples, Blueberries, Apricot, Pears, Pineapple, Watermelon, Bananas, Grapes
- Fats - Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Animal Fats, Ghee, Macadamia Oil, Fish Oil, Avocado, Avocado Oil
- Nuts - Pecans, Pistachios, Cashews, Macadamia, Almonds, Walnuts, Sunflower Seeds Beverages - Water, Tea, Soda Water, Coconut Water, Coffee
Foods to limit:
- Cereal grains
- Refined sugar
- Processed foods
- Soda and sweetened beverages
- Refined vegetable oils
- Artificial sweeteners
- Alcohol, especially beer
Keep an eye out for the next installment of our Paleo series where we provide you with a few days worth of meal plan ideas!